Venture is a leading manufacturer of high-performance LM3915 VU Meter PCB in China for more than 10 years.
Our high-performance LM3915 VU meter PCB can display with 20 LEDs on mono or stereo with 10 LEDs for the audio systems. They are cheap and can easily build.
Whether you are a system designer, distributor, electrical engineer, or a retailer, Venture is always the right place for you!
Your Leading LM3915 VU Meter PCB Supplier in China
Venture LM3915 VU Meter PCB is a monolithic integrated circuit. They sense drives ten LEDs and analog voltage levels, providing a logarithmic 3 dB/step analog display.
LM3915 VU Meter PCB’s pin changes the display from a bar graph to a moving dot display. It has a whole display system that operates from a single supply as low as 3V or as high as 25V.
Venture LM3915 VU Meter PCB is easy to modify and convenient to many forms. This LM3915 VU Meter PCB will process the frequency of the switch driver transistor and audio signals, and turn on the output stage.
Venture is an expert LM3915 VU Meter PCB manufacturer. We can expertly manufacture LM3915 VU Meter PCB drawn to separate stereo and mono VU meter circuit connection preanfil amps.
Venture LM3915 VU Meter PCB is an integrated circuit. You can adjust the light intensity of the LEDs according to the audio input volume with the 100k potentiometer.
Our LM3915 VU Meter PCB is fabricated in-house without outsourcing. So, we can offer you LM3915 VU Meter PCB at very low rates. We also offer punctual deliveries and efficient services.
Whether you are an electrical engineer, LM3915 VU Meter PCB distributor, retailer, or custom factory, you can always rely on our 10 years of manufacturing experience.
You can trust Venture as your best business partner!
Additionally, we can provide flexible payment terms for your LM3915 VU Meter PCB orders without MOQ. Single or wholesale quantity LM3915 VU Meter PCB is also welcome at Venture.
Get an instant quote for your next LM3915 VU Meter PCB orders today!
LM3915 VU Meter PCB: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
This guide covers all information you’re looking for about LM3915 VU Meter PCB.
So, before investing in a new LM3915 VU Meter PCB, read this guide.
- What Is LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Are The Salient Features Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Does LM3914 VU Meter PCB Vs. LM3915 VU Meter PCB Compare?
- What Are The Key Components Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly?
- How Do You Make LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Many LEDs Can LM3915 VU Meter PCB Drive?
- What Are The Advantages Of Using The LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Is The Role Of The LEDs In The LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Many Pins Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Have?
- What Are The Design For Manufacturability Mistakes Most Likely To Be Made When Making Custom LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Are The Operating Modes Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly Work?
- What Is The Maximum Input Voltage For LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Is The Difference Between Dropout Voltage And Offset Voltage Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- Can You Cascade Multiple LM3915 IC In LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly?
- What Should You Do If The Audio Input Could Surpass The Maximum Signal Input Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- Do You Require Current Limiting Resistors For The LEDs In LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Do You Perform Current Programming In LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- Can You Adjust The Intensity Of LED Components Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Are The Applications Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- How Much Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Cost?
- Do You Have MOQ For LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- What Are The Common Soldering Defects To Watch Out For In A DIY LM3915 VU Meter PCB Project?
- What Information Is Required For A Turnkey LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly Order?
What Is LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
It is a board assembled to mechanically support and electrically connect an LM3915 IC and other components used to form a VU meter.
LM3915 IC is a single large block IC that drives ten LED displays after sensing analog voltage levels leading to step analog display.
A volume unit meter (or a VU meter) circuit is a device used in displaying the volume of music output. It can be used in an amplifier or a loudspeaker.
LM3915 VU Meter PCB
What Are The Salient Features Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
The most common features of the LM3915 VU meter PCB include:
- LM3915 VU meter PCB has got 3dB/step display that is fitting for a wide display range of 30dB
- It drives fluorescent, LCD, or LED displays
- Can be adjusted to provide 90dB displays
- Has got an internal voltage reference range of 1.2V to 12V
- The display system can operate from a single voltage source ranging from 3V to 25V.
- The output current can be programmed to vary from 1mA to 30mA.
- Outputs are current controlled, open collectors
- It drives CMOS/TTL directly
- Allow dot or bar mode external selection by users.
- Its inputs operate down to ground
- Can tolerate up to ±35V without causing damages to the parts of the LM3915 VU meter PCB or causing false outputs.
- Has got a floating internal 10-step divider that can be referenced to a wide range of voltages
- Its operating temperature can range from 0 to 90 degrees Celsius
How Does LM3914 VU Meter PCB Vs. LM3915 VU Meter PCB Compare?
LM3914 VU meter PCB and LM3915 VU meter PCB essentially have the same scheme, pin configuration, and physical make.
The two can, therefore, be used interchangeably though LM3915 IC is a higher version of LM3914 IC.
The first two LED lamps will light up when there is no audio signal present in the LM3915 VU meter PCB. For the LM3914 VU meter PCB, in contrast, all the LED lamps will be off in the absence of a signal.
The LM3915 VU meter PCB is more sensitive than the LM3914 VU meter PCB. That can be observed from the number of LED lamps that light up in LM3915 than LM3914 at the same time.
LM3915 VU meter PCB displays signals in logarithmic form while LM3914 VU meter PCB displays them in linear form.
What Are The Key Components Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly?
The key components used in the LM3915 VU meter PCB assembly include:
- Two pieces of LM3915 series integrated circuits
- Twelve green LED lamps
- Five orange LED lamps
- Three red LED lamps
- Two capacitors (100μF/25V)
- Two OR0805 resistors
- Five 2K7 0805 resistors
- A printed circuit board
How Do You Make LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- The first step in making an LM3915 VU meter PCB is designing the PCB.
This is also the stage where you use a drawing tool to come up with the schematic or layout of the PCB.
- You can then make a list of the required materials and components from the design. Most of the components are already listed in question 5 above though there could be others depending on your design requirements.
- You can then procure a PCB board by sharing your Gerber file with your manufacturer. Here, you can give the details of your requirements such as the number of layers, color, thickness, and other specifications.
You can also make your board by transferring your layout onto a copper plate and using a solution to etch it.
- The next stage is mounting the components you already assembled in step (ii) onto the board. It is advisable that you mount through-hole components before SMD ones since that ensures efficiency.
- Finally, you can test your LM3915 VU meter PCB if it works as anticipated.
How Many LEDs Can LM3915 VU Meter PCB Drive?
The LM3915 VU meter PCB can drive up to 10 LED displays.
LED LM3915 VU Meter PCB
What Are The Advantages Of Using The LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
- The LM3915 VU meter PCB logarithmic display can be used in signals with a wide dynamic range including vibration, power, and audio level.
- Substituting the traditional meters with an LED bar graph produces a more rugged and faster responding display. The display has a higher visibility making it easier to interpret an analog display.
- It is extremely easy to apply an LM3915 VU meter PCB. A 1.2V full-scale meter will need only one resistor to add to the 10 LEDs.
An additional one resistor can program the full scale anywhere between 1.2V to 12V without relying on supply voltage.
- A single spot can easily be used to control LED display in the LM3915 VU meter PCB.
- The LM3915 UV meter PCB is also very versatile. Its outputs can drive incandescent bulbs, vacuum fluorescents, LCDs, and LEDs of whatever color.
- The LM3915 VU meter PCB can drive Dot Matrix LED as well as 10-segmented Bar LED
- LM3915 VU meter PCB enables LED current and reference voltage to be easily programmed. This is done based on the application by picking on resistors of the right value.
What Is The Role Of The LEDs In The LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
The purpose of the LEDs in the LM3915 VU meter PCB is just to display.
How Many Pins Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Have?
The pin configuration for the LM3915 integrated circuit can be summarized in the table below.
|Pin Number||Pin Name||Description|
|1 & 10 to 18||LED 1, LED 2, LED 3 all the way to LED 20||The ten LEDs whose turning ON and OFF should be controlled are connected to these pins|
|2.||Ground pin (V-)||This is the pin connected to the battery’s negative terminal|
|3.||Vcc (V+)||This is the positive voltage supply pin (From 3V to 18V)|
|4.||RLO||The pin for low level voltage supply to the potential divider.|
|5.||Signal||It is the pin for audio or analog signal input based on the LED that is being controlled.|
|6.||RHI||The pin for high level voltage supply to the potential divider|
|7.||REF OUT||This one is for output reference voltage for LED current limiting|
|8.||REF ADJ||Is used as an adjusting pin for voltage reference|
|9.||Mode||Used as a mode selection pin to choose between dot display mode and bar display mode.|
What Are The Design For Manufacturability Mistakes Most Likely To Be Made When Making Custom LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
Design for manufacturability (DFM) is the exercise of arranging the components of the PCB to realize a layout that is easy to fabricate. The DFM mistakes likely to be made by customers that could lead to poor LM3915 VU meter PCB results include:
Failing To Involve The Vendor Early
It is imperative that you bring your manufacturer on board as early as when you have just done your first draft.
Engaging your vendor early enough helps in flushing out mistakes that might not be visible on paper no matter how thorough you are.
You can then proceed to fix the identified problems before ordering components required for production or before seeking certification approvals for the design.
Getting Too Close To The Edge
Placing your components too close to the board’s edge can be disastrous and should be avoided.
Give some reasonable space allowance from the edge.
Capacitors, for example, can crack if they are placed too close to the edge of the LM3915 VU meter PCB board.
Overstuffing The Board
A lean design will mean fewer parts and you do not therefore have to make many purchases for your LM3915 VU meter PCB.
Having fewer parts also means you will spend less on stock management, processing, engineering, handling, and testing.
Unnecessarily complicating your board such as using SMT on both sides can be costly and should be avoided unless it is very essential.
Putting through holes on both sides of the board is also unnecessary because you’ll have to process it twice just like in SMT.
Using undersized parts can also lead to a poor quality board. Being available does not mean you have to go for them.
Going for the smallest parts when you have plenty of space on your board might not be the best decision.
The general practice is that spending a little more at the early stages can fasten your production process and eliminate mistakes.
Unsuitable PCB Finish
You should consider if using an alternative finishing material can help minimize on the production cost and fasten the production process.
What Are The Operating Modes Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
There are two major display modes in the LM3915 VU meter PCB which are:
Moving Dot Mode
For the moving dot mode, only one LED lamp lights up at a go. The moving dot mode is chosen by configuration of pin 9.
Connecting pin 9 to the Vcc makes it operate in the bar graph mode. On the other hand, the LM3915 VU meter PCB operates in the moving dot mode if pin 9 is left floating.
Bar Graph Mode
All the LED lamps light up below a certain level in the bar graph mode. Therefore, all the LEDs should light up at the maximum signal level.
How Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly Work?
The input voltage of an LM3915 VU meter PCB is an analog voltage supply ranging from 0 to 1.5V.
The analog voltage is passed on to the buffer amplifier which operates a sequence of 10 compatriots.
The PCB has a programmable reference voltage source. A 1:10 potential divider arrangement is used to give the reference voltage to each comparator.
Every comparator compares the input voltage against the reference voltage then drives the corresponding LED connected to it accordingly.
What Is The Maximum Input Voltage For LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
The maximum input voltage for an LM3915 VU meter PCB is 35V.
LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly
What Is The Difference Between Dropout Voltage And Offset Voltage Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
Dropout voltage in an LM3915 VU meter PCB is the voltage taken at the outputs of the current source. The dropout voltage is necessary to make the output current to drop by 10%.
The offset voltage, on the other hand, refers to the differential voltage that has to be supplied to every comparator. It serves to bias output in the linear region of the comparators.
Can You Cascade Multiple LM3915 IC In LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly?
Yes, it is possible to connect multiple LM3915 integrated circuits in cascade in an LM3915 VU meter PCB to achieve various purposes. For instance, the cascading may be done for handling separate channels for stereo or to realize a 60dB display.
For large number LM3915 ICs, cascading can be achieved by varying R1, R2, and R3 in inverse proportions to the devices tied in.
What Should You Do If The Audio Input Could Surpass The Maximum Signal Input Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
The LM3915 VU meter PCB can tolerate input signals of up to 35V beyond which the input signal should be attenuated.
Alternatively, a sufficient series resistance can be incorporated to limit the input signal to 5mA.
Do You Require Current Limiting Resistors For The LEDs In LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
LED current drive is controlled and can also be programmed thus there’s no need for current limiting resistors.
The anodes of the LEDs are therefore directly wired to the Vcc as the cathodes are wired to the LM3915.
The LEDs will illuminate when the driving pins of the LM3915 VU meter PCB are turned to low.
How Do You Perform Current Programming In LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
The LED current is determined by the current drawn out of the reference voltage pin (pin 7) of the LM3915 IC.
About 10 times the size of that current is drawn through every lit LED.
Besides drawn current remains relatively constant irrespective of fluctuations in temperature and supply voltage.
The LED drive current should be inclusive of the current drawn by the internal 10-resistor divider plus the external current and voltage-setting divider.
The outputs of LM3915 VU meter PCB are current limited NPN resistors. A transistor drive is regulated by an internal feedback loop.
Output current is kept at around 10 times the current of the reference load independent of processing variables and output voltage. The transistor should not be saturated as this happens.
It is possible to run the output in saturation without having damning effects thus enabling driving logic directly. The effective saturation resistance of the output transistors is around 50 Ohms.
LEDs can also be driven from rectified AC without filtering. In order to eliminate oscillations, the LED supply can be bypassed using an aluminum electrolyte or a tantalum capacitor.
Can You Adjust The Intensity Of LED Components Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
Yes, it is possible to adjust the intensity of the light emitted by the LEDs. A resistor can be used to control the current flowing into the LEDs thus regulating the intensity.
What Are The Applications Of LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
Audio Visualization Circuit
LM3915 VU meter PCBs are applied in visualized audio level display.
For instance, it can be used in discotheques to gauge the loudness of sound signals and to measure noise signals in other areas.
In audio level display, the LM3915 VU meter is used to measure the changes in pressure of the sound signal.
The meter is based on the principle that sounds with different frequencies have different pressure levels.
An alternative means is visually displaying the loudness of the audio signal.
The display is usually in the form of a LED lamps turning on in sequence to display the level of the audio signal.
- Crude Battery Indicator
- Low-cost monitoring equipment and visual alarms due to ability to control LEDs such that they don’t flicker and their brightness remains equal.
- Digital Meter
- Electronic Display
- Fade In And Fade Out Bar
- Vibration Meter – also known as vibration detectors, are devices used to detect radiations then present the intensity of the radiations displays to the user.
The vibration meters are used in measuring vibrations in roads, buildings, and other structures.
- Used to measure the level of audio signals in audio mixers, DJ systems, power amplifier, and small audio systems.
- Used in giving a special look in stage performance where the VU meter is used in the home cinema set up or stage show programs
How Much Does LM3915 VU Meter PCB Cost?
The cost an LM3915 VU meter PCB varies from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on design specifications, location, labor, technology used, and other factors.
However, the LM3915 VU meter PCBs cost around $5.00 on average.
Stereo LM3915 VU Meter PCB
Do You Have MOQ For LM3915 VU Meter PCB?
Yes, various manufacturers have minimum order quantities (MOQs) for their LM3915 VU meter PCBs. Other suppliers do not have minimum order quantities though.
What Are The Common Soldering Defects To Watch Out For In A DIY LM3915 VU Meter PCB Project?
PCB soldering defects can be as a result of several factors ranging from human error to pollutants. The most common of these defects are:
An open solder joint can be due to an open connection between the lead and the point where it connects with the PCB. This often occurs when the lead and the point fail to bond.
Open solder joint can also occur when the solder is only on the PCB but not on the component lead.
Too Much Solder
Large bubbles of solder can accumulate at the joint if too much solder is applied. Even though the joint might still function, the PCB might have some mistakes covered by the solder ball.
A component shift happens due to misalignment of LM3915 VU meter PCB components on the target area.
It is sometimes experienced if the PCB components float in molten solder thus settling in wrong positions.
Cold joints could be as a result of joints not heated long enough or soldering iron being at low temperature.
Cold joints look chaotic, are not long-lasting, and always fail to work.
Cold joints sometimes cause the PCB to fail to work. They can best be avoided by practicing proper soldering techniques.
Solder bridging is where solder improperly connects one lead to another. Solder bridges are hard to notice and are not detected most of the time
Webbing And Splashes
These are experienced when pollutants contaminate the soldering materials.
That could not only change the appearance of the PCB but also lead to short-circuiting risks thus exposing users and devices to danger.
This might not expressly be a soldering defect but soldering still does play a role.
If not sufficient solder was applied to the pad and it gets exposed to excessive force then the pad can get lifted off.
That could lead to a short circuit which could damage the entire LM3915 VU meter PCB.
What Information Is Required For A Turnkey LM3915 VU Meter PCB Assembly Order?
The following details are need for LM3915 VU meter PCBs for turnkey projects:
- A component list (CL) of all the parts to be used in the PCB assembly
- A bill of materials (BOM) – the schedule of the materials to be used in the assembly process
- Gerber files and all the CAD and ODB++ data that may be required.
At Venture Electronics, we help you get high performance printed circuit boards for all your applications.
Contact us now for all your LM3915 VU Meter PCB needs.