What Is The UL 94 Rating Of Taconic tly-5A PCB?
UL or Underwriters Laboratories 94 rating is the flammability safety standard for different Taconic PCB materials. This rating determines the safety of the Taconic sheet.
The material’s propensity to burn is rated on a UL 94 scale on six scales, from the lowest determined most difficult to flame to the highest value of the most difficult to flame. Different Taconic materials have UL 94 ratings that differ from this classification.
V- and HB are the most common Taconic material grades. V-O means burning stops within 10 seconds, while Taconic tly-5A is UL-94 V-O compliant.
Can you V score for Taconic tly-5A?
Yes, you can V-Score on the Taconic tly-5A PCB, V-cut is necessary process when manufacturing PCB, but you should taking the following factors into consideration when V-score:
-It would be helpful if you looked at the cross-sectional view to determine the distance between the v-score.
-You should measure the v-cut depth from one or both sides of the PCB surface.
-You should find out if it can take the panel apart for easy removal.
How to compare Taconic PCB and Isola PCB?
Two types of printed circuit boards, Taconic PCB and Isola PCB, have similar advantages but are different from each other. Taconic PCB uses ceramic-filled PTFE to make its sheets thermally and electrically stable, Taconic PCB uses thermoset materials to meet the needs of high-performance boards, suitable for microwave or RF board designs.
Whereas Isola PCB is manufactured using copper clad laminates and dielectric prepregs. These laminates have resin compositions to meet the demands of high performance applications. Isola PCBs have excellent mechanical, thermal and electrical properties. These properties provide more than FR-4 materials.
Venture Taconic TLY-5A is fabricated from woven fiberglass fabric coated with PTFE interleaved with thin sheets of pure PTFE.
In China, we are one of the largest manufacturers of Taconic TLY-5A. We have 10 years’ experience in this field. Choose Venture as your reliable supplier for Taconic TLY-5A now!
Your Leading Taconic tly-5A Supplier in China
Venture is the best manufacturer of Taconic TLY-5A in China. As a professional manufacturer, we fabricated Taconic TYL-5A with dimensionally stable.
Venture Taconic TLY-5A is equipped with high peel strength. We designed Venture Taconic TLY-5A with very lightweight fiberglass.
Compared to chopped fiber reinforced PTFE composites, Venture Taconic TLY-5A is more dimensionally stable. They have a woven matrix for more mechanically stable laminate.
Venture Taconic TLY-5A is suitable for high volume manufacturing. As a leading manufacturer, we designed a Taconic TLY-5A with a low dissipation factor that enables successful deployment.
Thus, they are best for automotive radar applications designed at 77 GHz and other antennas in millimeter-wave frequencies.
Relying upon Venture Electronics, you can get benefits for your Taconic TLY-5A:
- Dimensionally stable
- Lowest DF
- Low moisture absorption
- High copper peel strength
- Uniform & consistent DK
- Laser ablative
Moreover, Venture had more than 10 years in Taconic TLY-5A manufacturing for different applications:
- Automotive radar
- Satellite/cellular communications
- Power amplifiers
- LNBs, LNAs, LNCs
- Ka, E and W band applications
For your Taconic TLY-5A needs, Venture is the best place! In fact, we are trusted by most electronic engineers around the world through our 100% quality guaranteed policy.
Choose Venture now as your biggest supplier and manufacturer for excellent quality Taconic TLY-5A to support your business! Cooperating with us is the best decision.
All Venture Taconic TLY-5A had passed all industry-standard certifications. During the production, our expert engineers fulfilled strict inspections.
Venture Electronics can produce and deliver you the excellent quality of Taconic TLY-5A.
For further detailed information about our product, just visit our website and contact us now!
Taconic Tly-5A: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
In this guide, you will learn everything about Taconic Tly-5A PCB material.
From applications, properties, sizes to performance specifications, you will find everything about this Taconic laminate here.
Keep reading to learn more.
- What is Taconic Tly – 5A Laminates?
- What are the Benefits of the Taconic Tly- 5A Laminates?
- What are the Applications of the Taconic Tly – 5A Laminates?
- Which Materials Do You Use to Make the Taconic Tly-5A Laminates?
- Which Properties Do You Look at When Choosing a Taconic Tly-5A Laminates?
- How Do You Test the Properties of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- Which Industrial Quality Standard Specifications Must Taconic tly-5A Laminates Adhere to?
- Do You Customize Taconic tly -5A Laminates?
- Which Information Do You Require When Customizing the Taconic tly – 5A Laminates?
- How Many Typical Sizes of Taconic tly-5A are There?
- Do You Have Heavy Metal Cladding for the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- How Much Do the Taconic tly-5A Laminates Cost?
- What is the Dielectric Constant of Taconic tly-5 Laminate?
- Which Typical Values Do Taconic tly-5 Laminates have?
- Which Taconic Tly-5A Thickness values are There?
- What is the Process of Solder Masking for Taconic tly-5A?
- What is the Process of Drilling Holes in the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
- What are the Main Features of the Taconic tly -5A Laminate?
- What are the Disadvantages of Using the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
- How Do You Perform the PCB Lamination Process Using the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
- How Do You Determine the Thickness of Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- Can You Use the Taconic tly-5A for High Frequency PCBs?
- What is the Significance of Reinforcing the Taconic tly-5A with Glass Fabric?
- What is the Process of Choosing the Glass Fabric for Making the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
- How Do You Avoid Deformation and Damage of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- What is the Significance of Using Copper Foil in Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- Which Factors Help in Choosing the Copper Foil of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
- How does Taconic tly-5 compare to Taconic tly-5A?
What is Taconic Tly – 5A Laminates?
Taconic tly-5A laminates are special types of Taconic laminates with very high dimensional stability, efficiency and high peel strength.
What are the Benefits of the Taconic Tly- 5A Laminates?
You will realize quite a lot of benefits by using the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Here are some of the benefits that you will enjoy when you consider using Taconic tly-5A.
- Dimensional Stability
- Lowest DF
- Low Rate of Moisture Absorption
- Lase Ablative
- Uniform and Consistent DK
- High Copper Peel Strength
- Excellent Thermal and Mechanical Properties
- Perfect for Low Layer Count Microwave Designs
What are the Applications of the Taconic Tly – 5A Laminates?
Due to the above benefits, you can use the Taconic ty-5A laminates in different applications.
Here are some of the applications of the Taconic tly-5A laminates
- Automotive Radar Industry
- Satellite Communication Industry
- Cellular Communication Industry
- Power Amplifiers Industry
- Aerospace Industry
- LNAs, LNBs and LNCs Industries
Which Materials Do You Use to Make the Taconic Tly-5A Laminates?
The main materials for making the Taconic tly-5A laminates are woven fiberglass fabric and thin sheets of pure PTFE.
In other words, you will use the woven fiberglass fabric as the main material.
You will then coat the main materials using thin sheets of pure PTFE materials.
The woven matrix is responsible for the production of a laminate that has high mechanical stability.
Apart from that, it makes it have greater uniformity when it comes to the dielectric constant (DK).
Which Properties Do You Look at When Choosing a Taconic Tly-5A Laminates?
You should be very careful when choosing the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Implying that you should check on the right properties of the Taconic tly-5A before you make a choice.
Here are some of the properties that you need to pay close attention to before you make a choice.
Taconic PCB Material
· Material Transition Temperature
You will have a look at the glass transition temperatures where it will change from glass state to viscous rubber state.
You need to consider this temperature because the Taconic tly-5A usually fails to work after achieving this temperature.
· Thermal Decomposition Temperature
In this case, you will consider the thermal decomposition temperature according to the type of materials in use.
You will make sure that the temperature ranges between 300 and 400 degrees Celsius, especially for the taconi9c tly-5A.
· Dielectric Constant (DK)
The dielectric constant is the rate at which an electric current will pass through a dielectric material.
In case you are using high rate transmissions, you will use laminates that have very low dielectric constants for high frequencies.
· Thermal Expansion
This is the ability of the material to change its state especially when the temperatures rise to higher levels.
You must choose a Taconic tly-5A that is capable of withstanding different temperature ranges.
· Thermal Conductivity
This is the ability of the Taconic tly-5A to conduct enough heat through the entire material.
You should choose the Taconic tly-5A that has aluminum and copper because of their ability to conduct heat.
· RoHS Compliance
This is the quality standard specification that your Taconic tly-5A must adhere to.
Apart from RoHS compliance, there are other quality standards that the Taconic tly-5A must adhere to.
How Do You Test the Properties of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
Well, to get the right value of the above properties, you have to test the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Here are the main tests that you will perform on the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
- IPC-650 188.8.131.52 Test for testing the Dielectric Constant (DK)
- IPC-650 184.108.40.206 Test method for testing the moisture absorption rate of the laminates
- IPC-650 2.5.6 Test method for testing the dielectric breakdown
- ASTM D149 Test Method for testing the dielectric strength
- IPC-650 220.127.116.11 Test Method for testing volume and surface resistivity after elevating the temperatures and humidity
- IPC-650 2.4.4 Test method for testing the flex strength
- ASTM D 792 for testing density of specific gravity
- UL – 94 for testing the flammability rating
Which Industrial Quality Standard Specifications Must Taconic tly-5A Laminates Adhere to?
You must test the Taconic tly-5A laminates according to the industrial and international quality standards.
Testing the Taconic tly-5A will ensure that the laminates are of the right quality and are durable.
Here are the main quality standards that your Taconic tly-5A laminates must adhere to.
- RoHS Quality Certifications
- UL Quality Certifications
- ASTM Quality Certifications
- IPC-TM Quality Certifications such as IPC-TM 650
Do You Customize Taconic tly -5A Laminates?
Absolutely, we customize the Taconic tly-5A laminates according to the specifications of the customers.
In this case, you will have to provide all the product specifications of the type of Taconic tly-5A that you need.
We will look at your specification, make a sample and then test if it will work properly.
In case it works well, we will proceed with producing the design of the custom Taconic tly-5A.
If it does not work well, we will assist you in improving the design up to the point where it will work well.
Which Information Do You Require When Customizing the Taconic tly – 5A Laminates?
There are three main sets of details that you should avail to your manufacturer for customization of Taconic tly-5A.
Here are the three main sets of details that your manufacturer will require from you.
· Product Details
In this case, you will provide the details about the Taconic tly-5A laminates that you need.
Apart from the details you will provide, your manufacturer will provide the other details including:
i. Part Number which is TLY
ii. Manufacturers name
iii. Description details such as TLY RF and Microwave Laminates, Low Dielectric (DK) and Military grade materials
· General Parameters
In this case, you will specify the dielectric constant (DK) and dissipation factor (DF)
· Technical Documents
This is data sheet with all the technical documents of the Taconic tly-5A that you want.
How Many Typical Sizes of Taconic tly-5A are There?
You should consider looking at the different sizes of the Taconic tly-5A through three different categories.
The three main categories of sizing Taconic tly-5A are:
Taconic Tly 5A
· Typical Sizes
You can opt for different typical sizes such as (36 by 48) inches or (914 by 1220) mm.
· Long Laminates
In this case, you can look at the sizing of the long laminates in inches or in millimeters.
Here are some examples that you can look at:
i. 36” x 60” or 914 mm by 1524 mm
ii.36” x 76” or 914 mm by 1930 mm
iii. 36” x 102 or 914 mm by 2590 mm
· Cut Sizes
You also have the option of exploring different cut sizes depending on your personal requirements.
Here are examples of cut sizes that you need to pay close attention to.
i. 12” x 18” or 304 mm by 457 mm
ii. 16” x 18” or 406 mm by 457 mm
iii. 18” x 24” or 457 mm by 610 mm
iv. 16” x 36” or 406 mm by 914 mm
v. 24” x 36” or 610 mm by 914 mm
Do You Have Heavy Metal Cladding for the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
Absolutely, we have heavy metal cladding that you can request for according to the design of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Here are some of the heavy metal cladding that you can use:
· Brass Materials
Brass has a specific gravity of 8.5 and thermal conductivity of 120 W/m/K.
The coefficient of thermal expansion is 20 ppm with good machinability properties.
· Copper Materials
Copper has specific gravity of 8.9 and thermal conductivity of 390 W/m/K.
The coefficient of thermal expansion in copper is 17 ppm and has fair machinability.
· Aluminum Materials
Aluminum materials have lower specific gravity of 2.7 with thermal conductivity of 180 W/m/K.
The coefficient of thermal expansion of aluminum is 24 while the machinability is poor.
How Much Do the Taconic tly-5A Laminates Cost?
Taconic tly-5A laminates are available under varying costs depending on a variety of factors.
Some of the factors you will look at when considering cost include:
The better the lamination of the Taconic tly-5A, the higher the amount of money you will spend.
· Categories of Materials
There are different categories of materials that you can choose from depending on your application requirements.
For instance, copper will cost you a lot more than aluminum thus driving the cost of Taconic tly-5A higher.
The higher the stability of the Taconic tly-5A laminates, the higher the amount of money you will pay for them.
With all the above factors under consideration, you can get a piece of Taconic tly-5A laminates between 20 and 50 dollars.
What is the Dielectric Constant of Taconic tly-5 Laminate?
Dielectric constant can be described as the rate at which a particular electric signal flows through a dielectric material.
Since you are looking to achieve high frequency, you will make the Taconic tly-5A laminates with low dielectric constants.
This will ensure that the Taconic tly-5A laminates creates PCB for higher transmission rates.
Which Typical Values Do Taconic tly-5 Laminates have?
You will realize that the Taconic tly-5A laminates have different values.
Here is a summary of all the typical values of the Taconic tly-5 laminates.
- It has a dielectric constant at 10 GHz of around 2.20
- It also has a dissipation factor at 10GHz of 0.0009
- It has a very low moisture absorption rate at 0.02
- The dielectric breakdown is greater than 60
- It also has volume resistivity of 10 and surface resistivity of 10
- Its arc resistance is greater than 180 and flexural strength clockwise that is greater than 10,000
- Lengthwise, the flexural strength is greater than 12,000 and peel strength of ounce of copper of 12.
- The thermal conductivity is at 0.22 depending on the type of materials and UL-94 flammability is V-O.
Which Taconic Tly-5A Thickness values are There?
You will look at the thickness values of the Taconic tly-5A depending on the inches of the laminates.
Here are some of the thickness values of Taconic tly-5A laminates.
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.0035 inches with a thickness of 0.09 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.0050 inches with a thickness of 0.13 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.0075 inches with a thickness of 0.19 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.00100 inches with a thickness of 0.25 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.00200 inches with a thickness of 0.51 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.00300 inches with a thickness of 0.76 millimeters
- Taconic tly-5A has 0.00600 inches with a thickness of 1.52 millimeters
What is the Process of Solder Masking for Taconic tly-5A?
You can solder mask the printed circuit board (PCB) using Taconic tly-5A by going through the following processes.
You will begin the process by defining the circuitry pattern and etching the panels.
After that, you will allow the panel of plated etch to rest on the printed circuit board through the inspection process.
In other words, after the etching process, you will proceed with the inspection process.
Inspection process will help in the prevention of contamination on copper materials.
· Solder Mask Application
As soon as the etching process is complete, you will proceed with the application of the solder mask.
This will take place before you remove the metallic etch from the laminate.
In this case, you will remove the copper surface which will eliminate all the impurities such as tin or esbats lead.
Ensure that you provide enough space for solder mask adhesion on to the copper surface.
You can use chemicals to clean and make the copper surface rough using an acid to achieve solder mask adhesion.
After that, make sure that you allow the panel to dry up well before allowing it to dry for about 5 to 10 minutes.
As soon as it is cool enough, you will proceed with the application of the solder mask.
Depending on the number of layers, you will proceed with the above steps on both sides of the PCB.
What is the Process of Drilling Holes in the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
You should also drill the Taconic tly-5A laminates to create the through holes for mounting different components.
In this case, drilling of the Taconic tly-5A laminates will proceed before you plate the Taconic tly-5A.
Here is a step by step process that you can follow when drilling holes in the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
· Drilling of Taconic tly-5A
You will begin the entire process with proper marking of the points which you would like to drill.
After that, you will set the machine which will help in drilling of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
You will use a machine to drill the Taconic tly-5A because it has higher levels of accuracy and eliminates human errors.
· Sodium Treatment
You will begin with sodium treatment using a sodium-based chemical which will help in treating the drilled holes.
There is a possibility that the Taconic tly-5A laminate will absorb moisture during the sodium treatment process.
Due to that reason, you should bake it for about 1 hour at a temperature of 121 degrees centigrade to get rid of moisture.
Sodium treatment will assist in hole wall treatment for a longer shelf life and faster treatment time.
Apart from that, sodium treatment will help in the full coverage of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
· Plasma Etching
After drilling the hole, you must also subject the drilled holes through plasma treatment process.
In this case, you will use a mixture of nitrogen and hydrogen to help in the plasma etching process.
Make sure that you go through all the instructions and then follow with the right treatment processes.
After that, you will bake the Taconic tly-5A for about an hour at a temperature of 121 degrees.
This will help in eliminating any moisture that might be inside the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
What are the Main Features of the Taconic tly -5A Laminate?
Taconic Tly 5A Laminate
Apart from the technical specifications, you should also look at the features of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Here are the main features of the Taconic tly-5A laminates that you should have a look at.
- Most of the Taconic tly-5A laminates have glass woven reinforcements
- You can use them in low cost but very high-volume applications
- The peel length of the Taconic tly-5A laminates are excellent
- It also has very high-performance frequencies
- Tacoma tlt-5A laminates also exhibit stable dimensions
- You will also see metal cladding with different types of metals on one or both sides
- You should also know that they must go through a flammability test
What are the Disadvantages of Using the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
Well, it is quite unfortunate that you might go through a few limitations of using the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
Here are some of the limitations of using Taconic tly-5A laminates.
· Difficult to Process
You will go through a difficult time trying to process the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
It often increases the overall cost of production as well as the cost of the final product.
You must have a good budget when making the Taconic tly-5A which can accommodate the technical expertise needed.
How Do You Perform the PCB Lamination Process Using the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
You can perform PCB lamination through different processes depending on the type of laminate specifications and printed circuit boards.
Here is a summary of the lamination techniques that you will use in different types of PCBs.
· Double Sided PCBs
In this case, you will use the dry resist layer to laminate double side PCB panels.
You must make sure that it is photosensitive.
Double sided PCB
· Multilayer Printed Circuit Boards
Here, you will laminate multilayer printed circuit boards which can either be traced layers or thin etched boards.
You will bond the different layers through proper lamination through the following steps.
i. You will subject the internal layers of Taconic tly-5A laminates to intense heat of about 350 degrees Fahrenheit
ii. Apart from that, you will maintain the temperature between 275 and 400 psi.
iii. The high temperatures will help in curing the multilayers thus making the laminates adhere well.
iv. As soon as the laminates are in place, you will reduce the heat systematically as you cool the lamination materials.
· Sequential Lamination
This is the amination process of a printed circuit board that has two subsets and above.
As soon as you create the subsets, through different processes you will interpose a dielectric substance between every subset.
After that, you will proceed with the entire process of laminating and subsequent completion of the lamination process.
How Do You Determine the Thickness of Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
The best way that you will use to get the right thickness of Taconic tly-5A is through proper calculations.
In this case, you will use density and fabric weight calculations with expectation of a few variance as much as 5%.
In that case, you will get the total weight of the fabric in use for making the Taconic tly-5A fabric.
With this information at hand, you will proceed with your calculations using fabric weight and total weight fabrications.
Can You Use the Taconic tly-5A for High Frequency PCBs?
Absolutely, you will use the Taconic tly-5A for high frequency printed circuit boards.
The materials that you will use to make the Taconic tly-5A materials are compatible with hybrid builds.
It is the reason why most Taconic tly-5A laminates are suitable for use in high frequency printed circuit boards.
What is the Significance of Reinforcing the Taconic tly-5A with Glass Fabric?
You will notice that most of the Taconic tly-5A laminates have glass fabric reinforcements.
It is important they you reinforce the Taconic tly-5A laminates using glass because of the following reasons.
- It will help in increasing stiffness as well as stability on the X and Y axis.
- The glass fabric will help in improving the high temperature resistance of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
- It also helps in making the Taconic tly-5A resistant to chemical corrosion
- Apart from that, it will increase the strength, stability, and mechanical properties of the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
- In addition to that, it will help in increasing the insulation properties of Taconic tly-5A laminates.
- It is also antistatic with high ultraviolet proof making them quite strong and durable
- Glass fabric will also increase resistance to heat and make the Taconic tly-5A laminates fire proof.
What is the Process of Choosing the Glass Fabric for Making the Taconic tly-5A Laminate?
There are particular factors that you have to pay very close attention to when choosing the perfect glass fiber.
Your choice for the perfect glass fiber will depend on the following factors.
- The thickness which the fiberglass fabric will create on the final Taconic tly-5A laminates
- The quantity of resin that is held within the fiberglass for bonding and filling
- Thickness of the printed circuit board
- Desired stiffness of the printed circuit board
- Dielectric constant of the Taconic tly-5A
- CTE Control System
- Dimensional Stability of the Taconic tly-5A
- The Overall cost of the woven fiberglass fabric
How Do You Avoid Deformation and Damage of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
It is very important to have proper maintenance of the Taconic tly-5A laminates to prevent damage and deformation.
You should look out for the following factors to avoid cases of damages as well as deformation.
· Avoid Mechanical Scrubbing
You should avoid scrubbing of the Taconic tly-5A laminates mechanically which might deform and stretch it completely.
Instead of scrubbing, you can use chemical materials to clean and achieve dimensional accuracy in the process.
· Proper Lifting Techniques
You should also be very careful when lifting the Taconic tly-5A laminates to avoid cases of stretching and deforming copper.
In that case, you should hold both edges of the Taconic tly-5A laminates when lifting it from the ground.
· Use Protective Gloves
You must also wear protective gloves on your hands to prevent any form of contamination on the Taconic tly-5A laminates.
· Avoid Stacking the Laminates
Here, you will prevent the Taconic tly-5A laminates from scratching by placing each layer on its own.
In other words, you should avoid placing stacks of Taconic tly-5A laminates on top of other stacks.
What is the Significance of Using Copper Foil in Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
You will use copper foil on top of the Taconic tly -5A laminates because of the following reasons.
- It helps in the transfer of signals from one point of the PCB to another
- They will serve as ground and power layers
- It helps in the interconnection of different components within the PCB
- It is also a very good conductor of heat that will help in eliminating heat from the device
Which Factors Help in Choosing the Copper Foil of the Taconic tly-5A Laminates?
You should also be very careful when choosing a copper foil for your Taconic tly-5A applications.
Here are some of the features that you ought to pay close attention to when choosing a good copper foil.
· Power Handling Abilities
You will look at the power handling abilities of the board before you choose the type of copper foil.
Thick copper foils are most suitable for high power applications and thin copper foils for low power applications.
· Spacing and Sizing
In narrow and smaller boards, you will use thin copper foils and thicker copper foils on bigger boards.
· Loss of Line and Characteristic Impedance
In this case, you will look at the cross-sectional area of the copper foil which usually affects dielectric constant and thickness.
Here, you will use thicker and bigger copper plates in applications that eliminates a lot of heat.
On the other hand, you will use thin and smaller copper foils in applications that eliminate very little heat.
How does Taconic tly-5 compare to Taconic tly-5A?
The major difference between the Taconic tly-5 and Taconic tly-5A is the mod of performance between the two.
In this case, Taconic tly-5A has better performance than its Taconic tly-5 counterpart.
At Venture Electronics we offer a range of Taconic Tly-5 PCBs depending on your unique specifications and requirements.
Contact us today for all your Taconic Tly-5A PCB needs.