This guide covers everything you need to know about electronic manufacturing services.
So, if you have any question on electronic manufacturing service, you will find the answer right here.
Take a look:
- What Is Electronic Manufacturing Service?
- Where Do You Apply Electronic Manufacturing Service?
- How Does Electronic Manufacturing Service Supply Work?
- What Does An Electronic Manufacturing Service Company Do?
- What Is The Difference Between An EMS And An OEM?
- What Should You Consider When Selecting An Electronics Manufacturing Service?
- What Are The Characteristics Of A Qualified Electronics Manufacturing Service Provider?
- What Does High-Mix Low-Volume (HMLV) Refer To In Electronic Manufacturing Service?
- What Other Services Can You Benefit From Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers?
- What Are The Benefits Of Working With Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers?
- What Are Some Of The Product Testing Methods In Use By Electronic Manufacturing Service Companies?
- What Board Mounting Technologies Can Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers Employ?
- What Factors Have Contributed To The Growth Of The Electronic Manufacturing Services Market?
- What Are Some Of The Challenges Facing Electronics Manufacturing Services?
- Why Is Prototyping Important As An Electronic Manufacturing Service?
- What Is Obsolescence Management In Electronics Manufacturing Services?
- What Volumes Do Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers Work With?
What Is Electronic Manufacturing Service?
Electronic Manufacturing Service refers to a company that provide end-to-end services for electronic components and circuit boards.
Services entailing to EMS include designing, developing, testing, and packaging of electronic devices usually for third-party purchasers.
An electronic manufacturing service provides engages in formulation, production, experimenting and circulation of electronic products.
These providers also provide critical services with regard to damaged goods and those revoked.
Where Do You Apply Electronic Manufacturing Service?
Electronic manufacturing service finds use in a variety of industries, including the following:
Electronic manufacturing services here includes assembling PCBs, cable arrangement, prototyping, testing, designing and fixing returned items.
Medical and Healthcare
Medical and healthcare equipment necessitate resilient and heavy circuit capability.
As a result, engaging a qualified electronics manufacturing service provider is critical for obtaining high-quality products on time and on budget.
Military and Aerospace
Military and spacial organizations require equipment that is extremely durable and sturdy.
All electrical gadgets should withstand the dangerous scenarios that defense teams frequently confront.
For operational effectiveness, the aircraft have to include strong security and credibility.
Hence, it is necessary to use an expert electronic manufacturing service provide while building defense and aerospace products.
The development of telecommunication is a relatively difficult process.
As a result, establishing a good telecom system is nearly impossible without a capable development team.
How Does Electronic Manufacturing Service Supply Work?
Electronic manufacturing service entails the following:
Design And Manufacture Of PCBs
You find this important where the buyer works on a new product development project with no electronic capabilities in-house.
Having a clear description of the product and its working, they send the details to an EMS provider.
The electronics manufacturing service provider then creates the electronic circuit to functional level.
Level Of Assembly
Consider the scenario where an EMS manufactures the PCB, but the buyer requires more components to complete a sub-assembly.
You find some components purchased by the EMS, and others sourced and sent to the EMS by the buyer.
The EMS provider then finishes all the assembly work before returning the finished works to the buyer upon completion of assembly.
Manufacturing & Assembling Of Products
In this case, the buyer asks the EMS to complete the entire product while seeking and delivering other non-electronic products.
An assembly process follows including testing, packaging and ultimately shipping to the buyer of the finished product.
What Does An Electronic Manufacturing Service Company Do?
Electronic manufacturing service companies can handle everything from product design to product repair.
They do everything possible in order to create a reliable and compatible electrical equipment.
Almost every electronic manufacturing services company provides the following:
Electronic manufacturing services do not cease with the dispatch of an order. After supplying, the goods can fall into disrepair.
Consequently, an EMS provider should be prepared with aftermarket coverage including: the repair of returned goods, calibration, promotion and renovation.
It is critical to check the product quality before shipping the finished product to the client.
Failure of an electronic gadget to work as expected may result in the following:
- Limiting the duration of use.
- Increase costs due to repair.
- Jeopardize the company’s reputation.
Organizations providing electronic manufacturing services conduct testing, including: ICT testing, AOI, burn-in testing and flowing probe examination.
You can employ hand soldering with many electronic manufacturing services firms providing over modeling as a distinct capability.
You can use various layers and components to create a little part before finishing up with tests to assess its capabilities.
This is an important aspect of Electronic Manufacturing Services since it allows the entire process to run smoothly.
Prior to laying out the product, a reputable EMS business is present from the onset of the process.
An EMS provider engages designers, administrators, alongside other key personnel in executing the contract design via the following:
- Prototyping and simulation of circuits
- Experimenting and price setting
- Body sculpturing and assessments of technological feasibility
Here, an EMS provider employs a variety of materials producing a variety of outputs including box builds.
Such a provider can also pack customer orders, verify part functionality, package and design heat interventions.
Prototyping helps organizations prevent future problems connected to circuit board performance.
With prototyping, you assess things like: layout disadvantages, final product stability, output verification and characteristics.
Prototyping gives a clearer idea of the product’s final appearance in the market including layout innovation.
Additionally, making a prototype is less expensive and time-consuming than creating thousands of faulty PCBs.
As the most important component of an electronic device, designing and manufacturing a PCB requires special attention.
You build the PCB by mounting components such as such as resistors, transistors, ICs, on a bare board.
What Is The Difference Between An EMS And An OEM?
An EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Service) is essentially a contract manufacturer who develops, tests, or repairs electronic devices for OEMs.
They can also carry out product development, software design, and other value-added services such as configure-to-order and supply chain management.
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) have a variety of functions in the manufacturing process.
They can distribute complete products or produce sub-components for use in other companies’ final products.
AN OEM can concentrate only on product research, development, and innovation while keeping their intellectual property (IP) rights.
What Should You Consider When Selecting An Electronics Manufacturing Service?
Choosing the most suitable electronic manufacturing services supplier is the foremost consideration to a successful electronic product production process.
Acquiring the service of a top EMS provider is necessary for guaranteeing quality.
Some of the considerations you take into account include:
- Look into the EMS company’s web reviews, as these will provide insight into current and previous clients’ experiences with the company.
Positive ratings frequently indicate a well-equipped service provider, whilst poor reviews serve as warning signs.
- Consider your electronic manufacturing preferences such as the EMS provider’s location and brand power.
- Take into consideration the ratings of EMS providers which speaks to their capacity.
You can easily find company ratings from internet sources describing company quality, after-sales services, and customer handling.
- Suggestions and recommendation from peers of the best EMS providers in your area. It is always reliable to consider feedback from other customers.
What Are The Characteristics Of A Qualified Electronics Manufacturing Service Provider?
You want your electronics manufacturing service providers to have the following features:
Certifications And Observance Of Industry Standards
Certifications are the most effective means of demonstrating an EMS provider’s compliance with industry rules likes RoHS.
These certifications reflect their dedication to providing electronic manufacturing services that meet the industry’s high-quality requirements, as well as their reputation.
Channels Of Communication
The communication channels of a leading EMS provider should be open and transparent, allowing your active participation in the production process.
Participation includes the ability to visit their manufacturing plant, getting responses on concerns, making revisions and even alterations.
A top electronic manufacturing services supplier is likely to have a long track record of success in the field.
It displays their ability to continually provide manufacturing services and gain the trust of industry players.
You consider several factors when describing an electronics manufacturing service provider’s production capability.
- Use cutting edge technology in the manufacturing process,
- The size and condition of the manufacturing facility,
- The workforce’s experience and technical know-how,
- The state of the machinery.
You employ electronic items for a variety of industries and in a variety of locations.
Some of these areas are harsh environments, which you need to consider requiring thorough inspection of the products prior to delivery.
Procedures for Introducing New Electronic Products
A leading EMS provider requires a clear channel of bringing new products to market.
It commences with the product’s design, prototype, testing, and large scale production.
Possession of this feature, implies their functioning from a high manufacturing level.
What Does High-Mix Low-Volume (HMLV) Refer To In Electronic Manufacturing Service?
A HMLV production environment is one in which the production batch size, the production procedures, and the eventual application of assembled devices differ.
EMS organizations who deliver HMLV electronics manufacturing services can respond to settings with frequent product conversions.
Consequently, an EMS company has to change the assembly set up in a short time in response to customer demands.
Because of the different obstacles they face, these service providers demand extremely precise controls and wholesome resources of indirect nature.
As a result, using a lean approach and automation, with precise and well-organized software control, are essential for HMLV projects.
What Other Services Can You Benefit From Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers?
You can also benefit from the following services when working with EMS providers:
Firms dealing in EMS have in-house professional technicians and engineers with experience in product management, manufacturing processes, and testing methods.
An EMS can therefore assist clients in product management throughout the production cycle.
Introduction Of New Product
The introduction of a new product is an important procedure in electronic manufacturing.
Before putting a new product into production, you require thorough evaluation by a competent EMS provider.
Procurement And Supply Chain Management
The electronics manufacturing service supplier, guided by the specifications of product and BOMs, executes entire procurement and sourcing processes.
Also important, the service provider procures the material on the OEM’s behalf, occasioning a positive book balance for the client.
The EMS provider can provide functional and in-circuit test procedures while providing engineering support, using customer equipment.
A functional test is an important step that assures fully developed products reach the ultimate client.
What Are The Benefits Of Working With Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers?
There are several benefit that you accrue from engaging an electronics manufacturing service provider. Some of them are as follows:
Better Inventory Management And Supply Chain Know-How
Dependable electronic manufacturing services companies have extensive experience managing the supply chain and working with certified sellers all over the world.
They also have strong planning skills, as well as complicated and sophisticated global ERP and MES systems supporting work.
Productivity And Cost Structure Improvements
A delivery delay might result in a loss of business and reputation.
Working with a well-organized EMS supplier reduces the danger failed or late orders that hamper final product delivery.
Reduced Spending In Technology, Property And Equipment.
Collaboration with a service provider in EMS allows OEM manufacturers develop new products without the necessary human and physical infrastructure.
You find EMS providers making significant investments in facilities, technologies, and manpower, absorbing these expenses to their customer catalogue.
Workforce With Specialized Skills
Technological progress, operational standards, and changing customer expectations necessitate a highly qualified staff.
This requires solid selection of the workforce and regular training, with significant engineering competence.
What Are Some Of The Product Testing Methods In Use By Electronic Manufacturing Service Companies?
An EMS provider can employ a combination of tests for the product upon prototyping or manufacture. Some of these tests include:
- AOI: Scrutinizes a PCB with a computer to find faults such as broken traces, etching issues, excess solder, and hole registration issues.
- Functional Testing: Tests the assembly’s overall operational qualities by simulating its regular function.
- Agency Compliance Testing: Guarantees that the product complies with a certain agency’s safety and quality standards.
- Environmental Testing: Mimics the intended environment for a product to assess the product’s resistance and cover aspects such as temperature, moisture, and vibration.
- In-circuit Testing: Here, you examine a circuit’s individual components highlighting their operational status.
- Analytical Laboratory Testing: Aids in regulating quality, investigating failure, and research and development.
What Board Mounting Technologies Can Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers Employ?
EMS companies adopt the two major board mounting technologies of through-hole and surface mounting.
Through hole technology entails attaching components to a board by passing their leads through drilled holes.
In surface mount technology, you solder components to board surface.
What Factors Have Contributed To The Growth Of The Electronic Manufacturing Services Market?
The following are the primary drivers of the Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) market:
- Increased demand for vehicle electronics.
- Rising consumer electronics demand.
- Skill advancement and emphasis on core competencies.
- Increased use of mobile devices.
What Are Some Of The Challenges Facing Electronics Manufacturing Services?
As in any other industry, the electronics manufacturing services sector is not free from challenges.
You can encounter one or a combination of the following challenges:
- You require a strong product lifecycle management system.
- The rising cost of labor.
- You require automated systems.
- Increased worldwide competition.
- Traceability and compliance issues
- Environmental awareness especially e-waste disposal.
- Infrastructure and support systems investment.
Why Is Prototyping Important As An Electronic Manufacturing Service?
PCB prototyping might assist you escape an unpleasant circumstance especially when rolling out a new gadget.
Some of the reasons for prototyping are:
- Design Flaw Checks: A skilled ECM can quickly identify both technological and human flaws allowing you to make adjustments before design completion.
- Examining Product Characteristics: Often times, the product’s practical values differ from the theoretical values considered during the design stage.
Prototypes can assist you in verifying and apprising these values.
- Operating Within Budget: Having to rework on a product can be a costly affair especially when intended for mas use.
- Product Durability: When in use, your product needs to tolerate different conditions including temperature changes, power inconsistencies, and shock resistance.
- Production Confirmation: The PCB design and size influences the final product design and packaging which you confirm by prototyping.
What Is Obsolescence Management In Electronics Manufacturing Services?
As all things, electronic products reach a conclusion of their useful life in what we define as obsolescence.
In this case, your supplier can provide you with an estimate for replacement parts to cushion you from production loss.
Usually, you are handed one of three recommendations:
- End-of-Life: The component serves no functional purpose anymore and is not supported.
- Last Chance Purchase: You make a large purchase prior to the part’s discontinuation by the manufacturer.
- New Design Non-recommendation: Usually for a part whose future is unknown, superseded, or in danger of being obsolete.
What Volumes Do Electronic Manufacturing Service Providers Work With?
EMS providers will often provide their production volume capabilities with the following general recommendations:
- Low Volume: Describing quantities between 1 and 100 items.
- Medium Volume: Such providers can deliver between 100 and 10,000 products per year.
- High Volume: Suppliers can produce over 10,000 products in a year.