Is PCB ceramic?
Ceramic PCBs are often made up of ceramic cores, with alumina and aluminum nitride (AIN) being two of the primary types.
Both of these kinds of boards offer better thermal performance than metal core PCBs becauseof there isn’t a need for an electric layer between the core and the circuits.
Why is Aluminium used in circuit boards?
Why is Aluminium Used in Circuit Boards?
Aluminum could be actually transfer heat away from vital components, thus minimizing the harmful effect it could have on the circuit board.
Higher durability: Aluminum offers strength and durability to a product that ceramic or fiberglass bases cannot.
BENEFITS OF CERAMIC PCBS
Besides it’s enviable thermal properties and low CTE, ceramic PCBs come with a few other good benefits. Review some of their advantages as below:
1.Safe operation in temperatures up to 350 degrees Celsius
2.Simple implementation of high-density tracing
3.Exceptional high-frequency performance
4.Versatile packaging, with an option to come in 5.hermetic packages to prevent water absorption
Your Reliable Ceramic Aluminum Nitride Material Supplier
The ceramic aluminum nitride is the best material to use if electrical insulation properties and thermal conductivity is required. Also, this is a perfect material for thermal management and electrical applications. The aluminum nitride is commonly known by its chemical name ALN.
Venture offers you the best material for your business purposes. Also, we provide high-quality yet affordable. Venture offers you a one-stop solution for your ceramic aluminum nitride material.
You can customize and we can assure you to meet your specifications. Venture is your excellent choice for fabrication and supplier.
Your Leading Ceramic Aluminum Nitride Material Manufacturer in China
Venture is one of the trusted ceramic aluminum nitride material suppliers in China. The ceramic aluminum nitride material has unique characteristics like high thermal conductivity, good dielectric properties, low thermal expansion coefficient, non-reactive, corrosion resistance, heat resistance, and more. Venture offers the best product for your business. This ceramic aluminum nitride material is best for some applications such as:
- Heat Sinks
- IC Packages
- Microwave Device Packages
- Fiber Optical Communication
- Electronic, etc
Venture can fabricate ceramic aluminum nitride material components with different shapes and accuracy. The ceramic aluminum nitride is the best material because of its high performance. It also withstands to distilled water and seawater. Venture provides a common size for your ceramic aluminum nitride material. But, you can also customize it. We offer custom-made to meet your requirement. We have the technical expertise to make sure that your specifications will meet.
Here at Venture, you can have free to have any quantities of orders. Venture products can be ship worldwide. Venture is your best business partner and fabricator for any applications you required. We are always 24/7 available. As we are more than 10 years’ experience in exporting, we assure you to meet every customer’s demand. We utilize advanced equipment for fabrication.
Venture is certified CE, SGS, and ISO 9001. We always ensure the quality of products and satisfying services we have. We provide you a one-stop solution for ceramic aluminum nitride material and more electronic projects. Venture guaranteed you to make progress with your business. You can feel less hassle with our services. No need to shop elsewhere since Venture has a better solution for ceramic aluminum nitride material, PCB products, and turnkey services.
Send us your ceramic aluminum nitride material orders now!
Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
If you have any question about ceramic aluminum nitride material, you will find the answer right here.
Whether you want to learn about the properties, features, applications, uses or specifications; this is the perfect guide you need.
So, keep reading to learn more.
- What Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Why Should You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For PCB Fabrication?
- What Are The Properties Of Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Where Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Eco-friendly?
- What Should You Consider When Fabricating PCB With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- How Do You Create Trace Pattern On Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- What Board Layout Can You Finish With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Are There Limitations Of Using Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For Double Bonded Copper PCB?
- Which Types Of Vias Can You Use With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- How Do You Solder PCB Components On Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- How Can You Test Quality Of Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- How Does Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Compare To Other PCB Material Substrates?
- Which PCB Fabrication Processes Can You Use With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
- Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For High Frequency PCBs?
- Why Are PCB Made From Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Expensive?
- Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Suitable For High Power PCBs?
- Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Halogen Free?
What Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
Ceramic Aluminum Nitride is a great material to utilize when you require strong thermal conductivity and electrical insulation.
ceramic aluminum nitrate material
Consequently you find this material ideal for heat management and thus application in high-power electronics.
You can employ ceramic aluminum nitride instead of Beryllium Oxide (BeO) in semiconductors.
This is because machining aluminum nitride presents no adverse health effects.
Why Should You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For PCB Fabrication?
ceramic aluminium nitride PCB
Some of the motivations for using ceramic aluminium nitride material include:
- The coefficient of thermal expansion is comparable to that of silicon and gallium arsenide at 4.610-6°C.
- It has a thermal conductivity of 170-320 W/mK. This is comparable to PCBs employing BeO and SiC and up to ten times than PCBs employing alumina.
- You can have hermetic containers with no water absorption.
- With ceramic aluminium nitride material, high operating temperatures of up to 350°C are feasible Integration of this material results in a smaller package.
- Excellent electrical characteristics such as dielectric strength, loss and constant, and volume resistance.
- Outgassing is minimal to non-existent when using ceramic aluminium nitride material.
- It has excellent light-transmitting qualities.
- The material has excellent mechanical properties with a better fracture toughness than oxides if aluminium and beryllium.
- The ceramic aluminium nitride material is non-toxic and eco-friendly.
What Are The Properties Of Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
You find the following properties associated with ceramic aluminium nitride material:
- In inert atmospheres, ceramic aluminium nitride material exhibits stability at elevated temperatures melting at around 2200 °C.
The material decomposes at approximately 1800 °C in a vacuum environment.
- Surface oxidation occurs in the air at over 700 °C.
You establish thicknesses of 5 to 10 nanometers of surface oxide layers at ambient temperature.
- The material gets protection from this oxide layer up to 1370 °C beyond which bulk oxidation happens.
Up to 980 °C, aluminium nitride exhibits stability atmospheres with hydrogen and carbon dioxide.
- In mineral acids, the aluminium nitride material gently dissolves due to grain-boundary attack. For strong alkalines, the material dissolves due to an assault on the grains of aluminium and nitride.
- You can employ a chlorine based ion etch reagent to pattern aluminum nitride.
- In water, ceramic aluminium nitride material slowly hydrolyzes.
Aluminium nitride can withstand attacks from several molten salt not limited to cryolites and chlorides.
- The flexural strength of ceramic aluminium nitride material at 20 °C is 350 mega-pascals.
This is similar to aluminium oxide but falls below that of silicon carbide.
- The Vickers hardness of aluminium nitride is high clocking about 1000 at 20 degrees Celsius.
- Aluminium nitride material has a high modulus of elasticity of 343 gigapascal.
It exceeds that of steel at about 200 gigapascals but is a little lower than aluminium oxide’s.
- Ceramic aluminium nitride material is an inorganic substance having a crystalline hexagonal structure that’s covalently bound.
You also find its density is 3.3 g/cm3 with a 40.99 g/mol molar mass.
- The material has a high electrical conductivity in its pure state which rises even higher when doped.
- Aluminium nitride material, when subjected to a 1.2–1.8105 V/mm field, undergoes an electrical breakdown.
- You achieve superconductivity with aluminium nitride material at its cubic zinc blend phase at high pressures.
- Ceramic aluminium nitride material has an impressive heat conductivity that bests other ceramic materials except for beryllium oxide.
It can be as high as 285 W/(mK) for monocrystalline aluminium nitride material but between 70–210 W/(mK) for polycrystalline materials.
- The melting point of ceramic aluminium nitride is 2200 degrees Celsius with a 2517 degrees Celsius boiling point.
- At 20 °C, ceramic aluminum nitride material has a CTE of 4.810-6 1/K that is comparatively close to silicon’s at3.510-6 1/K.
Consequently, use of ceramic aluminum nitride material as a substrate in processing of silicon is common.
- The material also possesses great resistance to thermal shock and corrosion at elevated temperatures.
- The electrical resistivity of ceramic aluminium nitride material is extremely high in the 10-16 ohm-meter range.
It therefore suitably serves as a decent electrical insulator.
- The material has a breakdown electric field between 1.2 and 1.8 × 106 V/cm.
- Aluminium nitride material also has a reasonably high dielectric constant, comparable to aluminium oxide but significantly lower than silicon oxide.
- Piezoelectricity is another electrical property of ceramic aluminium nitride material that is relevant in thin film applications.
Where Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
Ceramic aluminum nitride material’s impressive properties allows its use in various applications. Some of these applications are as follows:
Ceramic Aluminum Nitride Material
The Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser (VCSEL) chip has an extraordinarily high power density.
You note that the power density taken can reach a thousand Watts per square centimeter.
Thus, thermal dissipation is a major issue requiring use of aluminium nitride material in the PCB for thermal stress relief.
Using aluminium nitride material in the PCB also prevents corrosion of the VCSEL chip while ensuring its accuracy.
High-Power LED Lighting
PCBs made of ceramic aluminum nitride material suit LED lighting products with high-power demands like ship illumination and lights for photography.
The temperature rise of LEDs is barely noticeable at low currents, however dramatically rises with high currents.
High power Led lighting
The high temperatures over long periods can affect the composite efficiency and lighting strength of the LED.
You therefore need to dissipate the excess heat to avoid thermal induced stress, a job well covered by aluminium nitride material.
CPV Power Supply Module (Solar)
The energy transfer rate of a Concentrator Photovoltaics (CPV) solar power supply is roughly two times that of a silicon supply.
It employs a condenser to focus solar light on a microchip for electrical energy conversion resulting in immense heat production.
The high demand for thermal dissipation makes use of ceramic aluminum nitride material in the PCBs vital.
CPV power supply module solar
The material not only overcomes the thermal dissipation problem but averts circuit desoldering due to the matching CTEs.
Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) modules are an example of high-power semiconductors.
These devices have exceptionally high thermal dissipation needs requiring use of aluminium nitride material in their PCB structure.
Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Eco-friendly?
Ceramic aluminium nitride material is environmentally friendly given its lack of harmful substances restricted by RoHS.
Some of these substances include cadmium, hexavalent chromium, lead, mercury, and polybrominated biphenyls and diphenyl ethers.
These substances are absent in aluminium nitride material.
You make ceramic aluminium nitride material by reducing aluminum oxide carbothermally with nitrogen gas at about 1500 °C.
What Should You Consider When Fabricating PCB With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
aluminum nitride pcb
When fabricating a PCB employing ceramic aluminium nitride material, you need to consider the following:
- You need to select a conductive layer material that matches the CTE of the ceramic aluminium nitride.
In this case, the materials exhibit similar response to temperature changes.
- The trace parameters of thickness, width and spacing determine the thermal dissipation level in a board.
While ceramic aluminium nitride material has impressive thermal conductivity, you need to consider these parameters for efficiency.
- The size of the board determines the amount of ceramic aluminium nitride material you’ll use. Machining this material is challenging sand employing strategies such as panelization can help your maintain lower costs.
How Do You Create Trace Pattern On Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
You can furnish a thick or thin copper foil for you conductive layer over a ceramic aluminium nitride material substrate.
The thickness of the foil determines the current carrying ability of the trace.
Creating the trace pattern requires etching, a lithographic method or even enlisting a magnetic approach.
In etching, you employ chemical solutions in a subtractive process that removes the undesired material leaving the trace pattern.
You can also deposit conductive material over the ceramic aluminum nitride substrate by electroplating the preferred trace path.
When patterning thick copper, you can employ different levels of co-firing.
What Board Layout Can You Finish With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
You can employ ceramic aluminium nitride material in different board layouts as follows:
Single And Double Sided
The single sided board only employs one conductive layer with the aluminium nitride material buttressing it as a substrate.
Usually, you populate the top surface with routing connections beneath.
You have two conductive layers in a double-sided board sandwiching a ceramic aluminum nitride material substrate.
Populating both board surfaces can allow you an increased component density.
Such a board has three or more conductive layers typically in even counts.
These boards allowing you more board density and routing freedom where you can separately furnish signal and ground layers.
Thick Film PCB
Furnishing a thick film ceramic aluminium nitride PCB involves employing oven baking using gas at over 900 oC.
Usually, any gaseous combination composes nitrogen which prevents oxidation of the aluminium nitride.
HTCC (High-Temperature Co-fired Ceramic) PCB
High temperature co-firing involves exposing aluminium nitride material to high heat treatment.
You get a physically capable product with thigh temperature tolerance via this method.
Are There Limitations Of Using Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
You have a few limitations of using ceramic aluminium nitride material:
Ceramic aluminium nitride material costs a little more than regular board substrate materials such as FR-4.
However, you only employ ceramic aluminium nitride material in high power PCB applications such for efficient thermal management.
You need to carefully handle ceramic aluminium nitride material due to their vulnerability to physical damage.
Repair work on such material is time consuming and expensive.
Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For Double Bonded Copper PCB?
A double bonded copper board precisely attaches the ceramic aluminium nitride substrate to the copper plate under heat and pressure conditions.
You can attach the copper layer on either ceramic surfaces to improve the strength of the structure.
Using ceramic aluminium nitride material in double bonded copper boards enhance qualities such as conductivity while enhancing electrical insulation.
Additionally, you provide a good solderable surface and can pattern one surface to create paths for large signals.
Which Types Of Vias Can You Use With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
Vias offer you efficient interlayer paths of either heat transfer or electrical signal transportation. You find different types of vias as follows:
- Thru-hole:Is the most common via type available allowing you to connect he external surfaces to each other.
- Buried:Connect only internal layers without extending to an external surface. While useful in high density boards, these vias are costly to process.
- Blind:Commence from one outer surface with a termination point in an internal layer.
You find these via types especially useful in high-speed lines where they improve signal integrity.
- Micro:Microvia have very small diameter achievable through laser drilling.
You restrict them to two-layer interconnection due to plating challenges.
How Do You Solder PCB Components On Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
When using ceramic aluminium nitride material in a PCB, you have two soldering options dependent in the component type.
You can employ either reflow soldering or wave soldering for surface mount and through-hole components respectively.
When attaching components that are leadless, reflow soldering is effective in making multiple board attachments.
You apply solder to the base of the component on the solder lands before transferring them to a reflow oven.
Wave soldering fastens the hooked leads of through-hole components to the base of the board.
The soldering process involves the flooding of the attachment board side with solder like a wave, hence the name.
How Can You Test Quality Of Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
Material quality in board fabrication is especially important for performance efficiency and to prevent costly failure.
You can ascertain the quality of ceramic aluminium nitride material via the following ways:
- Scanning the ceramic aluminium nitride material using an X-ray can reveal underlying structural issues.
- You can perform tensile and elasticity tests on the aluminium nitride material to determine its tolerance to pull and shear forces.
- When you cut through the side view of the ceramic aluminium nitride material, you can evaluate the structure.
- Optical inspecting the ceramic aluminium nitride material will allow you to check for any surface deformities and inconsistencies.
- A temperature cycling test between -65°C and 240°C can help you determine the board’s working temperature.
How Does Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Compare To Other PCB Material Substrates?
When comparing ceramic aluminium nitride materials to other substrates such as FR-4, you find the following points of deflection:
- When used as a substrate, ceramic aluminium nitride materials have a thermal expansion coefficient close to that of copper for instance.
In case of thermal expansion, the response of the materials is similar preventing thermal strain due to different expansion rates.
- The thermal conductivity quality of ceramic aluminium nitride materials is up to seven times that of other substrate such as FR-4.
Consequently, you find ceramic aluminium nitride materials commonly employed as substrates in high power PCBs.
- The performance of ceramic aluminium nitride material in the presence of corrosive substances such as strong alkalines and acids is exemplary.
Their tolerance to chemical agents and reagents allows their use in harsh environments.
- The moisture absorption rate of ceramic aluminium nitride material is almost nonexistent preventing property infringement by external factors.
For instance, the dielectric qualities of a substrate exhibiting moisture absorption suffers under humid conditions.
- Ceramic aluminium nitride material has strong mechanical properties such as shear and tensile strength, and elasticity of modulus.
Furthermore, they are lightweight allowing the fabrication of reliable PCBs in small devices.
Which PCB Fabrication Processes Can You Use With Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material?
Ceramic Aluminum Nitride
The following include common fabrication processes for PCBs employing ceramic aluminium nitride materials:
After attaching the ceramic aluminium nitride substrate to a conductive layer and furnishing a trace pattern, you apply a coating.
There are several coatings you can apply on a finished PCB surface including a surface finish and conformal coating.
Holes in a board serve various purposes such as component attachment, connecting layers and positioning board fixtures.
You drill holes for through-hole attachment of components and signal and thermal transfer.
In the etching process, you remove the material not part of the desired trace pattern for signal transfer. You find chemical solutions useful in the subtractive process of metal removal by a masking approach that shields the required track.
You generate the preferred trace design of the conductive layer in this fabrication process.
The process commences with furnishing a photo-sensitive sheet on which you use UV radiation to transfer the pattern.
Can You Use Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material For High Frequency PCBs?
You find ceramic aluminium nitride material applicable in high frequency PCBs for the following reasons:
Dimensional Tolerance Stability
Ceramic aluminium nitride material is mechanically stable when subjected to vibrations, surges, shocks and a wide range of temperatures.
Great Heat Transfer And Dissipation
The ceramic aluminium nitride material offers you exceptional thermal management preventing delamination due to strain.
Improved Signal Quality
The ceramic aluminium nitride material’s signal performance is above board with negligible signal loss as frequencies rise.
Tight Impedance Management
Aluminium nitride material exhibits close impedance control that maintains its dielectric properties when there are variable frequency observations.
Moisture And Chemical Resistance
The moisture and chemical absorption rate of aluminium nitride material is low ensuring the board’s electrical performance is unaffected.
Why Are PCB Made From Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Expensive?
You find two major reasons for the high cost of ceramic aluminium nitride material:
- The process of fabricating ceramic aluminium nitride material is costly and time consuming involving several specialist tools.
These aspects conversely affect the pricing of the material upon manufacture.
- Ceramic aluminium nitride material has excellent qualities compared to conventional substrates. You find the high thermal conductivity and stable dielectric properties makes it suitable for premium high power application.
Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Suitable For High Power PCBs?
Yes, it is.
You can use ceramic aluminium nitride material for high power boards thanks to its extraordinary thermal and dielectric qualities.
You find this material stands out for their impressive endurance of high temperatures, low z-expansion and electrical isolation.
Is Ceramic Aluminium Nitride Material Halogen Free?
Ceramic aluminium nitride material contains no traces of halogen in its structure.
You obtain ceramic aluminium nitride from the reduction of aluminium oxide using nitrogen gas at high temperatures of about 1500 °C.
For all your PCB materials, contact Venture Electronics now.