What are advantages of bendable PCBs?
The advantages of using a flexible PCB as belows:
1.Reduce weight and space.
2.Meet dynamic flexing requirements.
3.Flexing for easier installation and service..
4.Increase reliability and repeatability.
5.Thermal management&Improve aesthetics.
6.Eliminate connectors &Provide uniform electrical 9.characteristics for high speed circuitry.
What are the features of bendable PCBs?
Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) a highly flexible and excellent flexible printed circuit board made of polyimide or polyester film.
It has the characteristics of high wiring density, light weight, thin thickness and good bending property.
How thick is a bendable PCBs?
Flex Core Materials: Standard thicknesses: 1/2 mil to 4 mil in either adhesive or adhesiveless contructions.
Standard copper thicknesses: 1/3 oz to 2 oz in rolled annealed or electro deposited formats.
Venture bendable PCB referred to as flexible printed circuit boards, flex circuits, Flexi-circuits, and flex print. They are a member of interconnection and electronic family.
Venture bendable PCB comes with a thin insulating polymer film which has conductive circuit patterns. They can protect the conductor circuits as they are supplied with a thin polymer coating.
For your bendable PCB needs, Venture is the right place to rely on. Get benefits with our 10 years’ bendable PCB manufacturing experience!
Your Leading Bendable PCB Supplier in China
Venture is a professional bendable PCB manufacturer in China for over 20 years. We can manufacture bendable PCB with great features and advantages such as:
- space savings
- greater reliability
- low mass
- high ductility
Venture bendable PCB is a patterned arrangement of components and printed circuitry that utilizes flexible based material with or without flexible coverlay.
We can produce bendable PCB by utilizing the same components that are used for rigid printed circuit boards but allowing the board to conform to the desired shape during its application.
As a leading manufacturer, we can produce a wide array of bendable PCB for your projects. Venture is experts when it comes to bendable PCB manufacturing. Mainly are:
- flexible PCBs
- rigid-flex PCBs
- HDI flexible PCBs
Venture bendable PCB is widely used to replace the wiring harness. So, it allows us to supplant several cables, connectors, and hardboards of a single flex circuit in one operation. It can wrap them in bundles and eliminate the need to color-code wires. So, the assembly proceeds much faster.
You can purchase Venture bendable PCB with a stiffener. We can offer different thicknesses of bendable PCB for you. For the bendable PCB thicknesses, Venture standard thicknesses are:
- 0,075mm – 3,20mm
- popular thicknesses 0,30mm and 0,20mm for ZIF connectors
- Polyimide-Stiffener: 0,025mm – 0,225mm
- FR4-Stiffener: 0,075mm – 3,20mm
Venture has a large bendable PCB manufacturing capacity. We can manufacture hundreds of bendable PCB every day with our automatic production line.
Venture will also provide a free bendable PCB sample to check the quality before a large order. You can rely on Venture as your trusted bendable PCB as we have passed a lot of certifications.
Whether you are a bendable PCB distributor, retailer, or custom factory, Venture is the best place for you!
For more information about our bendable PCB, please don’t hesitate to contact us now!
Bendable PCB: The Ultimate FAQ Guide
Choosing bendable PCB can be an overwhelming task without the right information.
This guide explores all information you need about bendable PCB such as features, design, material type to performance specifications.
Keep reading to learn more.
- What Are The Benefits Of Bendable Printed Circuit Board?
- What Makes Up The Structure Of Bendable PCB?
- Which Are The Primary Substrate Materials For Bendable PCB?
- What Are The Types Of Bendable PCB Based On Configuration?
- How Does Bendable PCB Vs. Flexible-Rigid PCB Compare?
- What Are The Important Properties Of Bendable PCB Materials To Consider Before Fabrication?
- How Should You Design The Bending Areas Of Bendable Printed Circuit Board?
- How Do You Ensure Cost Effective Manufacturing Of Bendable PCB?
- Why Should Ground Planes In Bendable PCBs Be Rostered?
- Which Are The Different Types Of Flexible Copper Clad Laminate (CCL) Used In Bendable PCB?
- When Should You Couple Flexible Heavy Copper Clad Laminate With Flexible Thin Copper Clad Laminate In Bendable PCB?
- What Are The Types Of Copper Foil Used In Bendable PCB?
- Why Is Copper Balance Important In Bendable PCB?
- Which Are The Etching Methods Used In HDI Bendable PCB?
- Which Are The Common Types Of Etchant Resists Used During Bendable PCB Etching?
- What Are Some Of The Tips To Follow During Bendable PCB Assembly?
- Can You Manufacture Multilayer Bendable PCB?
- Which Is The Best Hole Drilling Method To Use On Bendable PCB?
- How Do You Improve The Stability Of Vias In Bendable PCB?
- What Are The Common Applications Of Bendable PCB?
- Which Are The Applicable Surface Finishes For Bendable PCB?
- How Do You Specify Bendable PCB To Your Manufacturer
What Are The Benefits Of Bendable Printed Circuit Board?
- They are flexible – you can flex and bend bendable PCBs thus making it possible for you to shape and operate the application.
You can modify to small or irregular shapes
- Bendable PCBs occupy a small area, reducing the weight of the program’s circuit board.
- By using a bendable PCB you allow for better heat control, reducing the amount of heat released.
- It is reliable and durable when subjected to continuous tremor and mechanical pressure
- It is characterized by very low weights and thickness
They are small, bendable cables and occupy very small space
- In your automotive bendable PCB will guarantee you dependability, durability, and no maintenance costs.
- With bendable PCB you reduce the occurrences for human flaws during wiring, with improving quality and reduction of costs.
- High mechanical resistance high-temperature resistance and atmospheric agents.
Bendable PCBs have superior resistance against harsh environmental conditions.
What Makes Up The Structure Of Bendable PCB?
- Die electric substrate material -this is polyimide material that you use as the foundation material for the PCB.
It is highly resistant to temperature and friction.
- Electrical conductors- These are made of copper and they represent the trails of the circuit.
They should not be placed together because they can cause the failure of the PCB.
A circuit with an inadequate distance between two conductive parts may not last for long.
- Adhesive material which you use to join the various parts of the circuit.
This will also help you to protect the bendable circuit by preventing moisture and dust from corroding it.
- Protective finish- You make these with a cover coat. This must be drilled to enable you to reach the soldering pads.
This could be using; tin immersion, silver immersion, organic solderability preservative
Which Are The Primary Substrate Materials For Bendable PCB?
Degree of bending PCB
- PI (polyimide film), which is an extreme performance material.
It has excellent resistance to heat, lubricity, dimensional steadiness, and resistance to chemical
- PET (polyester) film is used as a waterproofing barrier for cables that are under the sea
- PEN (polyethylene phthalate ), is resistant to chemical and water, gases, thermal and thermal -oxidation, and Ultra Violet light
- PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) which is characterized by non-wetting, has high density, and does resist high temperatures
- This is a fiber that is processed into fabric.
The material is used in lamination in PCBs
What Are The Types Of Bendable PCB Based On Configuration?
Some of the configurations of bendable PCB are:
These PCBs are a combination of both flexible and rigid configurations. They are constructed in 3D to allow folding and twisting into and shape,
They are characterized by a sequence of rigid circuits that are locked up together with the help of bendable circuits.
These combinations of flex and rigid circuit allow you to improve the performance of their circuit.
The areas where rigid circuits are used, help you in putting together connectors and other components while the bendable areas ensure flexibility and vibration.
HDI Bendable PCB
These are high-density interlink
They have a high electrical performance compared to flexible PCBs.
Besides, they use thinner substrates which help reduce their size when packaging
They are designed using several features which give better designs.
How Does Bendable PCB Vs. Flexible-Rigid PCB Compare?
Rigid flex PCB
In fact, bendable PCB is basically a flexible PCB. You can bend it to any shape.
However, it does not contain the rigid section of the PCB which you cannot bend.
What Are The Important Properties Of Bendable PCB Materials To Consider Before Fabrication?
Flexibility; with bendable PCB, you can attain any shape. That is, you can bend it to take any shape depending on the desired application.
The base material is of high quality; the reliability of a PCB is determined by the capacity of the board to conduct the flow of electrons.
Problems such as open circuit can be avoided if the circuit board base material is of good quality.
Impeccably clean PCB; a good and reliable PCB should be free from dust and dirt to avoid bad solder points and poor connectivity.
Copper clad made tolerant by the international standard is essential to ensure better control of on the thickness of the dielectric layer.
If the dielectric layer is thick it helps to reduce the deviations in the expected value of performance,
The thickness of the hole wall should be sheathed with copper and be 25 microns thick.
Copper cladding makes the board more dependable as it boosts its ability to prevent expansion along the z-axis.
Solder resist layers thickness; a considerably thick solder resist layer will prevent the shelling off risk and makes it more resistant to mechanical problems.
When the solder resist layer is subjected to peeling, it may expose the copper circuit to abrasive agents.
How Should You Design The Bending Areas Of Bendable Printed Circuit Board?
- You must know how many times your PCB will bend.
The copper will stretch and tear if the PCB bends more times than it can withstand.
- Identify the amount of bendiness required for the flex area (bend radius)
The thickness of your circuit should be guided by the bend radius.
- The bendability of the circuit can be increased when you add cutouts and slots in the bend areas.
- Use gradual bends and avoid tight bends which will destroy the circuit.
- Measure the bend radius from the inner surface of the bend.
- Conductors smaller than 10mils should be placed into neutral bend axis because they withstand compression better than stretching.
- Avoid coated holes within the bend.
- Ensure conductors going through the bend are upright.
- Spread out conductors in a multilayer circuit for it to be more effective.
How Do You Ensure Cost Effective Manufacturing Of Bendable PCB?
Step 1: Building Up The Bendable PCB
At this initial stage, you need to concentrate on how to save on the base material.
The base material used in manufacturing bendable PCB is polyimide.
It is prudent to keep circuits close to each other to use polyimide correctly.
To avoid damages in the transportation of the materials, use special equipment.
Workers should be well trained in handling these materials.
The following processes are used in the manufacturing of bendable PCBs.
- Servicing length and circuit assembly are made possible by the service loop.
You can add a little more materials above the designers limit.
- Conductor sizing: Thin copper is used for the bendability of the circuit and makes it conducive for powerful applications.
- To compensate for any isotropic losses during the manufacturing process, the etching process is used.
During the etching process, non-circuit copper is removed from the PCB to achieve the desired circuit pattern.
- Routing is done to ensure stress is reduced and bending and folding are improved.
Routing involves adding wires needed for proper connectivity of the components placed, according to the rules of the design.
- For better circuit bendability you create ground inclinations (planes) that reduce the board’s weight.
Step 2: Fabrication Process Of The Bendable PCB
- Small holes are created by the manufacturer.
The size of the holes varies depending on the design of the PCB.
- Apply filleting to increase the area of the pads and split up stress.
Filleting should be done to all endpoints and pads on a bendable PCB.
- You can create an alternative through a hole that is plated with copper.
This makes the solder joint dependable
Step 3: Concentrate On The Physical Limitations.
- Adhesive films are added for bendable circuit applications.
Adhesive films are mostly used for overcoating the PCB.
- To prevent both internal and external damages, apply a screen-printable liquid overcoat.
Film polymers and photo imaginable liquid are used as an overcoat which acts as a solder mask.
- This blocks solder from circuit traces besides, protecting them from outside electrification.
Why Should Ground Planes In Bendable PCBs Be Rostered?
A ground plane on a PCB is a large metal connected to the floor of the circuit.
It could be a small piece of the board or a multi-layer design.
A good ground plane is has a crosshatch design to allow flexibility and does not make the circuit weak.
Which Are The Different Types Of Flexible Copper Clad Laminate (CCL) Used In Bendable PCB?
Some of the main classification criteria are:
Classification Based On Different Layers:
i). Single side-flex CCL- has one layer of copper laminated between two insulating polyimide layers.
ii). Double side-flex CCL- has two copper layers with the insulating polyimide is between to copper layers.
The layers get circuit connection through plated through-hole technology.
Multi-layer flex CCL- has three or more circuit layers with the insulating polyimides in between the layers
Type-based On Trace Density:
Ordinary flex CCL
High-density flex CCL
Type-based On The Different Substrate Material:
Polyester type flex CCL
PI type flex CCL
Polytetrafluoroethylene type flex CCL
Based On Different Product Structure:
When Should You Couple Flexible Heavy Copper Clad Laminate With Flexible Thin Copper Clad Laminate In Bendable PCB?
Copper cladding is filling the unused space on a PCB board.
You can fill it with solid copper.
This is done to strengthen the anti-resistance ability, enhance the performance of power and minimize loop area.
The copper weight will be determined based on the PCB.
Clopper weight can compromise the flexibility of the PCB.
Thin copper clads are used to fill connections. They create interconnect small footprints.
Flexible Copper Clad Laminate (FCCL) includes polyester, polyimides, and very thin fiberglass cloth copper clad laminates.
We can couple flexible heavy copper-clad laminate with flexible thin copper-clad laminate so as to:
i). Attain the desired bendable PCB
ii). Achieve the desired controlled resistance
What Are The Types Of Copper Foil Used In Bendable PCB?
- Rolled annealed (RA) – has a horizontal structure that provides greater copper stretching and flexes adaptability
- Electro-deposited (ED)- has a vertical grain structure which makes it less costly than RA
Why Is Copper Balance Important In Bendable PCB?
Copper balance is the asymmetrical distribution of copper on a PCB.
It is important because helps prevent the effects of bow and twist.
Copper balancing ensures that conductor traces are well spread all over the circuit board.
Copper balancing helps to fill open areas this counterbalances with the copper on the opposite layer
Which Are The Etching Methods Used In HDI Bendable PCB?
Etching is the process used in creating copper traces on a circuit board by getting off unwanted copper from the copper laminate.
Methods of etching:
Chemical Method / Wet Etching
Liquid coatings (chemicals) are applied or brushed onto the substrate.
This method is fast and does not etch the targeted “keep off” areas.
The common chemical used for this purpose is hydrochloric acid.
This method requires a large amount of the acid to be effective
Stripping is a process where you cover the copper on the PCB with electroplated tin.
You can use concentrated nitric acid to remove the tin.
Laser Etch Method
This is the use of high powered laser to bend the trace lines on a PCB substrate.
The computer does the work of removing all unwanted copper traces.
Dry etching is where plasma gas comprises molecules rich in chlorine and fluorine.
This method is categorized into:
- Physical dry etching- it is the use of kinetic energy to attack the substrate board.
The substrates atoms are knocked out from the surface and evaporate immediately.
Using this method ensures all materials are removed.
But the disadvantage is that it is slow
- Chemical dry etching- it is the use of dry chemical etchant (gases) to remove the unwanted materials.
Which Are The Common Types Of Etchant Resists Used During Bendable PCB Etching?
Etchant resist are inks and tapes which are used to cover points of your design so that they are not corroded during etching.
They include the use of sheets of adhesive films or strong adhesive tapes.
What Are Some Of The Tips To Follow During Bendable PCB Assembly?
You should consider the following:
Fixing The Bendable PCB
If you don’t handle bendable PCB correctly, it may break easily.
To avoid breakage, fix the bendable PCB on a carrier board or the rigid PCBs substrate.
Using the right substrate to hold all components leads to a high-quality PCB.
Bendable PCB Materials Are Tolerant To Specific Temperatures
Exceeding the temperature may cause damage to the bendable PCB material.
So, whether you want to use surface mount technology or through hole technology, ensure you know the property of bendable PCB material.
The Inclination And Layout Of The Component Should Be Correct
All components should be accurately positioned and inclined to make it easy to route everything.
Inspection, testing and installation become easy when there is proper positioning and inclination.
Problems Of Planarity
With the manufacturing of bendable PCB, problems of bow and twist may occur.
This may lead to deformities that affect the flatness of the PCB.
To avoid this, use materials that are compliant with the recommended standards.
Solder printing – it is the process of using solder paste on the PCB. You can achieve this using a stencil.
The designer needs to apply a good amount of solder paste to get quality print.
Considering The Many Components To Assemble On Bendable PCB
The components should meet all the quality requirements and safety requirements. This will ensure fully assembled bendable PCB is safe at all times.
Can You Manufacture Multilayer Bendable PCB?
Multi-layer flex bendable PCBs are manufactured by putting together single and double-sided circuits.
You can follow the following process:
Bendable multilayer PCB
- Front end engineering; go through the PCB designs and prepare them for production.
- Photo plotting: a laser photoplotter is used to create photo tools to be used in the solder mask and silkscreen process.
- Imaging process: this step is meant to create the copper pattern for the plating process.
- Automated optical inspection: you inspect the layers of the multi-layer PCB before laminating them together
- Oxide chemical treatment; apply this to the inside layers of multi-layer PCBs before laminating.
This is done to increase the copper clad thereby improving the strength of bonding.
- Drilling: you need to drill holes that are used to join parts, copper layers or for mounting the PCB.
- Electroless copper deposition so that the holes are electroplated.
- Dry film outer layer application to prepare the panel for electroplate.
- Plating onto the conductive pattern and on the walls of the hole of the PCB.
Note that strip and etch means removing the dry film resist that remains and the copper that lies underneath.
Which Is The Best Hole Drilling Method To Use On Bendable PCB?
The best hole drilling method is Laser drilling.
The laser machines uses a high-density laser beam to erode a hole in the PCB.
You can drill many holes that are of quality at ago, at a very high speed.
Laser drilling is automated, accurate, and non-contact.
Laser drilling can drill small holes with controlled depth.
How Do You Improve The Stability Of Vias In Bendable PCB?
In high-frequency clock transmission line do not use vias.
Remove any unwanted pads on vias since they may causes resistance.
If possible, avoid changes in vias and layer to avoid losing signal integrity.
Vias of two different traces should be kept equal to reduce bias and phase difference.
What Are The Common Applications Of Bendable PCB?
Some of the most common applications include:
- Electronics: laptops, cameras, calculators, printer heads, and computer keyboards
- Manufacturing: robotic arms, sensory equipment, processing machines, and bar code equipment.
- Automotive: airbags, antilock brakes, GPS, engine control.
- Medical: hearing aids, pacemakers, heart monitors, exercise monitors
- miscellaneous: resistors, satellites, capacitors, tower lights LCD fabrication, light and motion system
Which Are The Applicable Surface Finishes For Bendable PCB?
PCB surface finishes
Some of the most common PCB surface finishes include:
- Hot Air Solder Levelling (HASL) – this involves a submersion of the circuit board in a melted pot of a lead or tin alloy.
You then remove the extra solder by blowing hot air across the surface of the board.
- Bendable PCB can be immersed in Tin – Tin has metallic deposits which will prevent the underlying copper from rusting.
Tin also improves the PCBs shelf life.
- You can apply anti-tarnish which will protect the copper surface from rusting.
This is done by applying a thin layer of organic Solderability preservative (OSP) over the exposed copper.
- Electroless Nickel Electroless Palladium Immersion Gold (ENEPIG) – This is a three-layer metallic coating of nickel palladium and Gold.
It can be relied on, meets packaging needs.
It is the best for high recurrence applications where spacing is restricted.
- Electroless Nickel Immersion Gold (ENIG) – This is the most popular finish for PCBs
It is made of two layers of metallic coating.
Nickel is used to protecting copper while Gold protects Nickel from abrasion.
It doesn’t tarnish, lasts long, and is
Commonly applied to high wear areas such as joint connectors and keypads
How Do You Specify Bendable PCB To Your Manufacturer
- You need to indicate if your PCB is flex or flex-rigid.
- Specify the stiffeners that will be used in your PCB and the material used.
- Quote all the special requirements for your PCB as this will affect the cost of manufacture. This may include size, number of layers, holes, etc.
- Your flex PCB requires surface finishes. You can choose from a variety of surface finishes such as HASL, ENIG, Gold, and silver immersion. This is to protect the signal circuit you need overlays.
- Have control over the interference of radio frequencies and electromagnets. You can achieve this by shielding the Bendable PCB with silk films.
- Let the manufacturer ensure controlled resistance of your PCB by putting two sheets of polyimide instead of 1.
For all your bendable PCBs, Venture offers perfect solution for all your electronics circuits.
For any questions or inquiry on bendable PCBs – contact us now.